Give your favorite scarf a totally new look and vamp up your cold-weather style.
By Casey Gamble
A scarf is a near-perfect fashion accessory because it’s cute, functional, and affordable. While simply draping a scarf around your neck has a classic feel that’s always in, there are so many other ways to style it too. Versatile and comfy, a winter scarf will transform any look. Discover different ways to wear your scarves this winter, from simple knots to making them look like totally new items of clothing!
Keep Your Chunky Scarf in Place
- Wrap the scarf once around your neck to form a turtleneck.
- Take the right piece and pull it over the top of the turtleneck and through the loop. Repeat on the left side.
The Viral Vintage Balaclava Scarf Hack
This easy and super cute style has gone viral on TikTok – and we can see why. Not only will it keep your face warm, it’ll make you feel like going for a drive in a convertible with shades on and the top down.
- Start at the front of your neck and wrap the scarf all the way around to make a turtleneck, with the two pieces hanging evenly in the front.
- Wrap the right piece over the top of the turtleneck and pull through. Repeat on the left side.
- Pull the back of the scarf up and over your head to act as a warm hood.
The Savvy Chop
- Drape the scarf around the back of your neck so both pieces hang in front, with the right side longer than the left.
- Toss the shorter left side over your right shoulder.
- Then, use a “chopping” motion with your left hand over the longer right piece.
- Pull the right piece around your neck from the left, using your hand to hold the loop in place.
- Continue to wrap the right piece all the way around your neck, securing it through the loop you’ve created with your hand.
Simple and Stylish
- Drape the scarf around your neck so the two pieces hang evenly in front of you.
- Take the left piece and wrap it behind the right piece, then pull it up and through to make a simple knot.
- Once you pull the left piece through, drape it over your right shoulder so only the right piece sits on the front of you.
- The scarf should sit loosely around your neck for an easy but chic look.
- Start by wearing a choker-style necklace that will serve as the neckline of your “top.”
- Take your scarf underneath your arms and wrap it around your back so you are holding both ends in front of you.
- Pull the first piece over the top of the front of your necklace and pull it down. Repeat on the other side.
- Fan out both ends of the scarf so they lay across your chest.
- Our tip: fasten the pieces together near the middle with a safety pin so they’ll stay in place.
Other Ways to Wear a Winter Scarf
Your imagination is really the only limit when it comes to how to wear your cold-weather scarves. Try these simple styles for go-to looks to get you through the season.
- Easy Folded Loop: Fold your scarf in half width-wise. Then, drape it around your neck. Take the two loose ends and push them through the loop of the folded end of the scarf. Tighten as necessary. You drastically cut down on the apparent length of the scarf, and this is also one of the warmest ways to wear it.
- Loose Wrap: Another way to wear an average length or long scarf is to drape it around the front of your neck so that the ends dangle behind you, then criss-cross them in the back and pull them back around to the front. Make sure the scarf is centered.
- Pashminas as Scarves: Wrap one end of a pashmina around your neck and throw one end over your shoulder. If you feel like adding even more color to your attire, wear two at once for a layered look and a lot of warmth. You can also find embellished pashminas to wear with your evening wear.
Scarf Styling Tips
Sometimes even the smallest style hacks can have a big impact! Work winter scarf magic with these quick and easy tips.
- For a casual-but-classy monochromatic look, pair a matching beanie with your scarf.
- Everyone has their own preference when it comes to letting your scarf ends fly free or tucking them in. What you choose to do may depend on what type of coat you’re wearing – a bulkier coat can hide long scarves ends, while a thinner coat might benefit from showing off the entire scarf.
- As for attire, you can wear a scarf with almost anything. Choose a nice knit scarf in non-scratchy wool to wear with your casual clothes. This is the time to play up patterns and colors. For dressier clothes or work clothes, emphasize the texture of a scarf more than patterns or colors.
A Versatile Staple
With so many cute, elegant, and surprising ways to wear your scarf, you have plenty of looks to try this winter. No matter how you decide to wear one, a winter scarf acts as a beautiful focal point of your outfit and can take an otherwise dull look to an entirely different level.